Cinnamon Dark Chocolate Chip Biscotti
These Cinnamon Dark Chocolate Chip Biscotti are a delicious treat to enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee or tea.
I haven’t been doing much baking lately. Instead, I’ve been focused on testing new holiday side dishes recipes. But December will be here before we know it, and that means we’ll be doing all the holiday baking, right?
This morning I was in a baking sort of mood, so I got to work on these biscotti. Brad keeps telling me that it’s been way too long since I’ve made biscotti, so I made these for him. 🙂
I used dark chocolate chips in these because dark chocolate is our favorite kind. The dough of these biscotti is flavored with cinnamon. The combination of the cinnamon and the chocolate is pretty irresistible. A little sweetness, some warm spice, and a subtle crunch make these biscotti a delicious treat.
Biscotti are baked twice, so you get that classic crunch that is just so good. You’ll form the dough into two logs, bake, slice, and bake again. Which may sound complicated but it’s really very easy.
I made these biscotti with a combination of all-purpose and white whole wheat flours. I’ve found that certain types of baked goods, including biscotti and scones, lend themselves particularly well to whole wheat flour. The nutty flavor of the whole wheat flour pairs well with the cinnamon flavor too.
I recommend enjoying these Cinnamon Dark Chocolate Chip Biscotti with a cup of coffee. The biscotti are perfect for dunking in your favorite warm beverage, whether that be coffee or tea. A cup of coffee, a cookie, and some time to relax with my feet up and a good book – now that’s my idea of a perfect afternoon. Enjoy!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (coarsely chopped if large)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add the cubes of butter and mix on low speed until the largest butter pieces are the size of small peas.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup or small bowl.
- Add the brown sugar to the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Pour in the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until dough forms. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough in half and form each half into a round ball. Form each ball into an 8-inch long log and place the logs on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten the logs so that they are 2 ½ inches wide and 1 inch tall.
- Bake the dough logs for 26-28 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges and almost firm to the touch in the center. Let cool for about 15 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board and use a serrated knife to cut on the diagonal into biscotti. (I find that a careful sawing motion works best to cut them without crumbling.) Place biscotti cut-sides-up on the baking sheet. Bake biscotti for about 15 minutes, until lightly golden.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!