Ground Turkey Tacos
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
The best ground turkey tacos, with seasoned ground turkey, black beans, peppers and onions wrapped in warm tortillas. This easy, healthy recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes.
We make tacos for dinner almost every week, and we have a few easy taco recipes that we rotate through. Our favorites include these Ground Beef Tacos, Fish Tacos, Instant Pot Chicken Tacos and these ground turkey tacos.
You can never have too many easy, healthy dinner ideas, and these ground turkey tacos are one of the best weeknight recipes. Turkey tacos on their own can be a bit boring, which is why I’ve loaded these ground turkey tacos up with black beans, bell peppers and onions as well as seasoned ground turkey. This recipe uses the same seasonings that you’ll find in my homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe, but I’ve given you the individual spice amounts in the recipe card below for convenience.
Give these ground turkey tacos a try for dinner this week. They might just make it onto your menu the following week, too!
Ingredients You’ll Need
These turkey tacos are full of flavor thanks to a delicious blend of taco seasonings and packed with protein from turkey meat and black beans. Here’s a look at the recipe ingredients.
- Olive Oil: For sautéing the onion and bell pepper.
- Onion: Use yellow or red onion depending on what you have on hand.
- Bell Pepper: A great way to add color, flavor, and a veggie. Any color of bell pepper works so use what you like best.
- Ground Turkey: A good source of lean protein. You can substitute ground chicken or even ground beef.
- Black Beans: Adding a can of black beans makes the taco meat go farther. The beans also add additional protein and fiber.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper combine to make a flavorful taco seasoning. You can adjust the amount of chili powder to your tastes. For extra spice, add a dash or two of cayenne pepper.
- Tomato Sauce and Water: These make the taco meat moist and flavorful. This is especially important since turkey meat tends to be drier than ground beef.
- Tortillas: Wrap up the taco filling in small corn or flour tortillas. Use corn tortillas or other gluten free tortillas if you need the meal to be gluten-free.
How to Make Ground Turkey Tacos
- First, sauté the chopped onion and bell pepper in olive oil in a large skillet.
- Then add the ground turkey to the pan and cook, crumbling, until browned.
- Add the black beans, seasonings, tomato sauce and water. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the turkey is cooked through.
- Serve in warm tortillas with toppings as desired.
Like this Recipe? Pin it to Pinterest!
These turkey tacos are so hearty and full of flavor, they don’t need many toppings. Here are a few taco topping ideas to choose from:
What to Serve with Ground Turkey Tacos
I hope these ground turkey tacos will be a favorite with your family, just like they are with mine. Here are more family-friendly dinner ideas to inspire your meal planning.
Best Ground Turkey Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow or red onion
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste; use less if you are sensitive to spice or your chili powder is very spicy
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas
- Toppings, as desired: shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, guacamole, cilantro, chopped red onion, etc.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, until the veggies start to soften a bit.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and cook, crumbling with a spoon or spatula, until browned.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the black beans, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, salt, pepper, tomato sauce and water to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until turkey is fully cooked and most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Serve in warmed tortillas, with toppings as desired.