Perfect Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
A foolproof recipe for easy Instant Pot Baked Potatoes. Learn how to cook perfect baked potatoes in your pressure cooker, plus how to make baked potatoes with crispy skins.
One of my go-to quick and easy weeknight meals is a simple baked potato bar. Our usual toppings include butter or sour cream, shredded cheese, roasted broccoli and sometimes chili. My family loves baked potatoes, especially since everyone can choose their own potato toppings!
Baked potatoes are a filling and nutritious meal that is also budget-friendly. Russet potatoes are a good source of protein, fiber, iron, magnesium and Vitamin C, as well as other vitamins and minerals.
Since I’ve owned an Instant Pot pressure cooker, cooking baked potatoes in my Instant Pot is my preferred method. It’s faster than cooking them in the oven and the potatoes always turn out fluffy and tender. Just like with my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe, the Instant Pot works its magic on potatoes once again with these Perfect Instant Pot Baked Potatoes!
Besides being a delicious lunch or dinner on their own, baked potatoes are a good side dish to serve with baked salmon, steak, pork tenderloin or baked chicken thighs. You can cook your baked potatoes ahead of time and reheat them for an even faster meal.
If you are new to using an Instant Pot, you might find my post about how to use an Instant Pot helpful.
How to Make Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
These Instant Pot potatoes are so simple to make. You’ll start by scrubbing your potatoes. Then, prick the potatoes a few times with a fork. Pricking the potatoes will allow steam and pressure to escape from the potatoes as they cook.
Place 1 cup of cold water in your Instant Pot. Cold water is recommended because the water temperature will affect how long it takes your Instant Pot to reach pressure, and therefore how long your potatoes will cook.
Next, place the metal trivet in your Instant Pot. You want to cook the potatoes on top of the trivet so that they don’t sit in the water and get soggy.
Place the potatoes on top of the trivet. It is okay if your potatoes are stacked on top of each other in the pot. Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the steam release valve to the sealing position.
How long do you cook baked potatoes in an Instant Pot?
The pressure cooking time depends on the size of your potatoes. I have tested out lots of different potatoes of varying sizes to determine these cook times. It is important to cook potatoes that are roughly the same size so that they will cook in the same amount of time.
Small Potatoes (2 – 2 1/4 inches wide): 12 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
Medium Potatoes (2 1/2 inches wide): 16 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
Large Potatoes (3 inches wide, pictured in my hand above): 20 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
When I’m not sure about the cook time for my exact size of potatoes, I always err on the side of adding an extra minute or two to the cook time. I’d rather end up with softer potatoes than under-cooked potatoes and have to do a second pressure cooking cycle.
How to Make Baked Potatoes with Crispy Skin
If you like crispy skins on your baked potatoes, you can place them under the broiler after you cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot. This step is optional and I often skip it when I’m short on time. It does add lots of flavor, though!
Place the cooked potatoes on a baking sheet. Rub the baked potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt before placing them under the broiler in your oven. Watch the potatoes closely so they do not burn. Mine took about 7 minutes to crisp under the broiler.
Cooking Tips for Instant Pot Potatoes
- Don’t forget to prick your potatoes a few times with a fork before cooking them. This allows steam and pressure to escape from the potatoes as they cook.
- Be sure to cook your baked potatoes on the metal trivet to keep them out of the water in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- The cooking time for baked potatoes depends on their size. Cook the standard large size Russet potatoes that you find at the grocery store for 20 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release.
- If you want potatoes with more flavorful, crispy skins you can place them in your oven and broil for a few minutes after they have cooked in the Instant Pot. Rubbing the skins with olive oil and sprinkling them with salt and pepper helps them to crisp and adds flavor.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- 4 medium Russet potatoes scrubbed
- Pour 1 cup cold water into the bottom of the Instant Pot inner pot. Place the metal trivet in the pot.
- Prick the potatoes in a few spots with a fork.
- Place the potatoes on top of the trivet in the Instant Pot. It is ok if they are stacked on top of each other.
- Close the lid and turn the steam release valve to the sealing position.
- Press Manual/Pressure Cook and set the cook time: 12 minutes for small potatoes, 16 minutes for medium potatoes, 20 minutes for large potatoes (see box in the post above for more size details). The Instant Pot will take 8-12 minutes to reach pressure and then the cook time will begin counting down.
- When the cook time ends, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes by leaving the Instant Pot alone. Then quick release any remaining pressure by carefully turning the steam release valve to the venting position using the handle of a long spoon.
- When the float valve drops down, open the Instant Pot lid.
To Get Crispy Skins (Optional)
- Place the baked potatoes on baking sheet (line with foil if desired, but not parchment since you cannot place parchment paper under the broiler).
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Place under the broiler in the oven for 3-7 minutes, until skins begin to get golden and crisp. Watch the potatoes closely so they don't burn.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!