FREE BACON FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
Pumpkin and apple are the perfect pairing in this pumpkin smoothie. This healthy pumpkin smoothie with apple is great for breakfast. It’s made with a pinch of pumpkin pie spice and will keep you full for hours!
This time of year, pumpkin this and pumpkin that are everywhere. One of my favorites is Pumpkin Bread. The same goes for apple treats. I decided the natural next step was to put the two seasonal favorites pumpkin and apple together! (And this isn’t the only time. See also my Slow Cooker Pumpkin Apple Crisp. It’s so yummy!)
This pumpkin smoothie. It is good. It tastes like dessert, even though it’s full of healthy ingredients. It will keep you full for hours, making it the perfect breakfast for yourself and your kids. My three absolutely love this pumpkin smoothie, and I can blend it up in less than 5 minutes – a must for busy school mornings.
Canned pumpkin gives the smoothie its lovely orange color, and I added a whole apple, skin and all. If you look closely you can see the pretty red flecks of apple in the photos. Both the apple and some oats add lots of fiber. Greek yogurt provides filling protein for even more staying power.
I love my Vitamix blender for making smoothies, but don’t worry if you don’t have a Vitamix or other high-powered blender. When I first made this pumpkin smoothie I didn’t, and my regular blender created a smooth consistency just the same, even with the apple in this smoothie. Try my other great smoothies, Strawberry Banana Smoothie and Almond Protein Smoothie.
So I have a question for those of you reading who are also food bloggers. Do you ever get to the end of a photo shoot and realize that you totally forgot to add in something that you really wanted as a prop in your photo? When I first started taking the photos of this pumpkin smoothie I forgot to sprinkle the oats around the smoothie. I had even brought the container of oats into the living/dining room (where I take my photos) and set them next to me. I do things like this all.the.time and it is SO frustrating. I really should write down my plan for my photo set-ups and checking my list before I start, but I’m always in a hurry and just want to get it done!
Go ahead, try this Pumpkin Apple Breakfast Smoothie this week! Whether it’s warm or cool where you are, this smoothie is a great way to start your day. It will leave you feeling ready for fall! 🙂
Why is pumpkin good for you?
- Pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant which your body can convert into vitamin A.
- One cup of pumpkin has about 500mg of potassium, which is more potassium than a banana.
- A quarter cup of pumpkin in this recipe has only 20-25 calories and is low in fat.
Tips for making this pumpkin smoothie:
- Be sure to use canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling is sweetened and has added spices.
- Blending the oats first and then adding the other ingredients will produce a smoother smoothie.
- Try substituting pear in place of the apple for another delicious pumpkin smoothie.
- While a high powered blender is not required for this smoothie, I’m so glad I invested in mine. I use it almost every day!
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium apple cut into pieces (I used honeycrisp and left the skin on)
- ½ small banana sliced and frozen
- ½ cup milk almond, soy, dairy, etc. – whatever you prefer
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup ice cubes
- Place oats in blender and blend for about 30 seconds until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!