Stuffed Chicken Breast
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
Looking for a dinner idea that’s sure to impress but is secretly simple to make? Stuffed chicken breast is the answer! In this recipe, chicken breasts are stuffed with mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and two types of cheese.
Cheesy Stuffed Chicken Breast
Chicken breasts are a dinnertime staple, and I’m always looking for new ways to cook them. This stuffed chicken breast recipe is exceptionally flavorful and sure to become a new favorite!
Making stuffed chicken breast is easier than you may think. You’ll cut a slit into the side of each chicken breast to create a pocket, then fill it with a mixture of mushrooms, onions, sun dried tomatoes, mozzarella and feta cheese. To create a flavorful crust, the chicken breasts are seared in a skillet until they’re golden brown. Then the skillet is transferred to the oven to finish cooking the chicken. Tender, juicy chicken with a flavorful filling makes for a meal that everyone will request again and again.
This recipe may look fancy, but it’s easy enough for a weeknight and so satisfying. All you need to round out the meal is a crisp green salad and a loaf of crusty bread.
Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe Ingredients
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: To serve 4 people, use either two large chicken breasts or four small chicken breasts.
- Seasonings: The chicken breasts are seasoned with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper for another layer of flavor.
- Cremini Mushrooms: Also called baby portobello mushrooms, these have more depth of flavor than white button mushrooms and are delicious paired with chicken.
- Onion: Both red or yellow onion work well here.
- Olive Oil: For sautéing the mushrooms and onions, and also for searing the chicken.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic adds irresistible flavor.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: Using oil-packed sun dried tomatoes ensures that the tomatoes are moist and not too dry. Be sure to drain off any excess oil.
- Feta Cheese: Its tangy, salty flavor works so well paired with the sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Mozzarella Cheese: While the feta adds lots of flavor, the mozzarella melts well for that gooey, cheesiness that you crave.
Like this recipe? Pin it to Pinterest!
How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breast
You’ll need a large oven-safe skillet, such as a cast iron skillet, for this recipe. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, you can brown the chicken in any skillet and then transfer it to a baking dish before putting it in the oven.
- First, sauté the mushrooms and onions in olive oil until softened. Season them to taste with salt and pepper. Then stir in the minced garlic.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a medium bowl. Stir in the sun dried tomatoes and feta.
- Combine the seasonings in a small bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry. Use a sharp knife to cut a large pocket into the side of each chicken breast, cutting as far as you can through to the other side without cutting all the way through, and leaving the ends intact as much as possible.
- Rub the seasoning mixture all over the outsides of the chicken breasts.
- Stuff the shredded mozzarella and then the mushroom feta mixture into the pocket of each chicken breast. Secure them closed with toothpicks.
- Brown the chicken in the skillet, until golden brown on both sides.
- Bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through. Then serve and enjoy!
- Cut the pocket as large as you can without cutting all the way through to the other side of the chicken breast.
- Stuffing the mozzarella into the chicken before the other filling ingredients helps to keep the cheese from oozing out onto the pan as it bakes.
- After stuffing the chicken breasts, secure them closed with toothpicks to keep filling in. Try not to overstuff the chicken.
- The cook time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts. The best way to tell when the chicken is done is to use an instant read thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken. Chicken is done at 165° F.
- Be sure to test the internal temperature of the chicken, not the filling, when checking for doneness.
There are many options for side dishes that pair well with this chicken breast recipe. Here are a few ideas:
More Chicken Breast Recipes
Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cheese and Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped yellow or red onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes, oil-packed recommended
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
To Season the Chicken
- ½ teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or other heavy oven safe skillet over medium heat. (If you do not have an oven safe skillet, you can transfer the stuffed chicken breasts to a baking dish before putting them in the oven.) Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until softened and golden brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and transfer the contents of the pan to a medium bowl.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes and feta to the bowl and stir everything together.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings for the chicken: salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and lay them flat on a cutting board. Use a knife to cut a large pocket into the side of each chicken breast, cutting as far as you can through to the other side without cutting all the way through, and leaving the ends intact as much as possible.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over both sides of the chicken breasts and rub the mixture onto the chicken.
- Stuff the shredded mozzarella cheese and then the veggie and feta mixture into the chicken breasts, filling them as full as you can while still allowing the breasts to close. (You might not use all of the filling.) Secure them closed with toothpicks, making sure that the chicken breasts can still lay flat for browning in the skillet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Then transfer the skillet with the chicken to the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through to 165° F, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- To serve 4 people, use either 2 large or 4 small chicken breasts. The baking time will depend on the size of the chicken breasts.