Honey Mustard Chicken
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
Honey Mustard Chicken, with a delicious sweet and tangy honey mustard sauce, is seared until golden brown and then baked in the oven until it’s tender and juicy. This easy recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner!
All of you who love honey mustard as much as I do are going to go crazy for this honey mustard chicken recipe! The honey mustard sauce is made with just a few ingredients and creates a glaze over the chicken as it bakes. It’s sweet, it’s tangy, it’s completely irresistible!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Quick & Easy: You can have this chicken recipe on your table in just over 30 minutes, start to finish.
- Delicious Sauce: The honey mustard sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy.
- Versatile: Serve the chicken with potatoes, over rice or slice it and add it to a salad.
Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe Ingredients
I love this recipe because the ingredient list is short yet makes an incredibly flavorful meal.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: Try to find smaller (approximately 6 ounces each) chicken breasts so that they don’t take too long to cook through. See tips below for what to do if your chicken breasts are large.
- Salt and Pepper: To season the chicken. You’ll also add black pepper to the honey mustard sauce.
- Olive Oil: Used to sear the chicken and also added to the sauce.
- Honey: Adds sweetness to the honey mustard sauce.
- Mustard: I use both smooth Dijon mustard and whole grain mustard for the best combination of flavor and texture.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Adds a delicious tanginess to the sauce.
- Fresh Thyme: Adds another flavor dimension to the dish.
- Garlic: Because a little garlic makes everything better!
How to Make Honey Mustard Chicken
Making the best honey mustard chicken is simple! Here’s an overview of the recipe steps. Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In an oven-safe skillet, such as a cast iron skillet, brown the chicken on both sides. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk together the honey mustard sauce ingredients.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken in the skillet.
- Bake at 375° F for 15-25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through to 165° F.
- Serve, spooning the sauce from the pan over the chicken.
- If the chicken breasts are very large or an uneven thickness, you can pound them to thin them out to an even thickness. Or, slice large chicken breasts in half horizontally to get thin chicken cutlets, just like when making Chicken Piccata.
- If you do not have an oven safe skillet, you can transfer the chicken to a baking dish after browning it on the stove, then spoon on the sauce and bake.
- I highly recommend browning the chicken on the stove before baking it in the oven. Browning improves the flavor and appearance of the finished dish. However, if you wish to skip the stove step you can bake the chicken for about 10 minutes longer in the oven.
- You can can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or bone-in thighs instead of boneless chicken breasts. You may need to bake the dish few minutes longer, especially if using bone-in thighs.
What to Serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
- Potatoes: Roasted Potatoes or Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Rice: How to Cook Rice or try Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Vegetables: Sautéed Green Beans or Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Storage & Reheating Tips
- Refrigerator: Store leftover honey mustard chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat: Reheat gently in the microwave or place in a covered dish and reheat in a 350° F oven until hot.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Honey Mustard Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about four 6-ounce chicken breasts
- salt and black pepper
- 3 tablspoons olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup smooth Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the chicken browns, make the honey mustard sauce. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, smooth Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, apple cider vinegar, fresh thyme leaves, minced garlic and black pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Once the chicken has browned on both sides, remove the pan from the heat. Spoon the honey mustard sauce over the chicken breasts in the skillet.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven. Bake chicken for 15-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. The center of the chicken should register 165° F on an instant read thermometer.
- Serve chicken with sauce, garnishing with chopped fresh parsley, as desired.
- If your chicken breasts are very large or an uneven thickness, you can pound them to thin them out to an even thickness. Or, slice large chicken breasts in half horizontally to get thin chicken cutlets.