Lightened Up Baked Chicken Parmesan
You’ll love how quickly you can get dinner on the table with this Lightened Up Baked Chicken Parmesan!
It’s 30 Minute Thursday, friends! In case you’re new here, on the first Thursday of every month a few friends and I each share a dinner recipe that you can get on your table in half an hour, start to finish.
I love 30 Minute Thursdays because (1) coming up with a new 30 minute meal is always a fun challenge, and (2) I always get so many delicious new dinner ideas from the other bloggers who participate!
You can find the complete list of February’s 30 Minute Thursday recipes below, right after the recipe for this Lightened Up Baked Chicken Parmesan. Let me know if you try any and how they turn out! I’ll be adding them to my easy dinner recipes Pinterest board so that I remember to add them to my menu plans in the coming weeks.
Whenever I make Chicken Parmesan, it’s always a hit with my whole family. My kids can be picky, but chicken is something I pretty much always know they’ll eat. Especially when it has a crispy breadcrumb coating and is served with pasta and marinara sauce!
Since this Lightened Up Baked Chicken Parmesan is baked, it’s a healthier dinner, especially if you serve it with whole grain pasta. You don’t need to add too much cheese – a little bit of Parmesan and mozzarella go a long way here. Steamed or roasted broccoli are easy sides that go well with this meal.
To make this, you’ll want to first get the water boiling for your pasta (and prep your broccoli if your making some).
To make the chicken, you’ll stir together some breadcrumbs (I use Panko), grated Parmesan, salt and pepper. The chicken gets dipped first in a mixture of egg and milk, and then in the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake the chicken until it’s done, top it with a little marinara and mozzarella, and then broil for a few minutes until the cheese gets all melty and the breadcrumbs are golden and crispy. Yum!
Here are a few more 30 minute dinner recipes that I think you’ll love:
- 5 Ingredient One Pot Pasta with Chicken Sausage
- Spinach Pesto and Tomato Flatbread Pizzas
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Orange-Ginger Sauce
- 8 ounces linguine pasta
- ½ cup Panko (or other) breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- 4 thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, stir together Panko crumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a shallow dish or pie plate. In a second dish, whisk together the egg and milk or water. Dip each chicken piece first into the egg and then into the crumb mixture, so that both sides are coated. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken in upper third of the oven for 12-15 minutes, until it registers 165 on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from oven and turn on the broiler.
- Spoon ¼ cup marinara sauce over each piece of chicken, and then sprinkle each with ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese. Return the chicken to the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Divide cooked pasta between four plates, top with the remaining marinara sauce and chicken. Sprinkle on fresh parsley. Serve.
Be sure to check out my friends’ 30 minute recipes for February:
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!