Packed with peanut butter, flaxseed and oats, these Peanut Butter Oat Snack Cookies will give you an energy boost while satisfying your cookie craving! They are perfect for after school snacks for the kids, too!
Tomorrow I go back to work after my maternity leave. To say I am not ready to leave my sweet baby girl is quite the understatement. Where did the past four months go?
Nothing can make up for the fact that I won’t be home every day with my little ones, but if I try to look on the positive it is only three days a week, my baby will be with family while I’m at work, and I only have five weeks until summer vacation. I’m trying to look on the positive side. But it’s still hard.
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
I made sure to have a batch of these Peanut Butter Oat Snack Cookies in my freezer for my going back to work days. They satisfy my afternoon craving for something sweet, but in a healthier way. Packed with oats, flaxseed, and peanut butter, these snack cookies will give you a little energy boost.
These Peanut Butter Oat Snack Cookies are sweetened with honey, rather than refined sugars. I added a few dark chocolate chips because, you know, chocolate + peanut butter = amazingness. But you could leave out the chocolate and these would still be delicious.
No mixer is required to make these cookies, just two bowls and a few minutes of your time. I know myself, and I’m bound to eat a cookie many afternoons just because I’m craving one. With these Peanut Butter Oat Snack Cookies I can satisfy my craving in a healthier way.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the peanut butter, and then the applesauce, honey, egg, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Use your fingers to gently flatten each cookie, as they won't flatten on their own during baking.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until set and barely golden. (If baking more than one pan at a time, be sure to rotate the pans halfway through the baking time.) Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.