This is a healthy, meatless pasta dish that’s packed with flavors. This Roasted Sweet Potato and Arugula Pasta with Chickpeas is ready in just 30 minutes!
Sweet potatoes are one of those foods that don’t get enough credit. I know everyone’s going crazy for all things pumpkin and apple right now, and believe me I am too. Just take a look at my recent posts for evidence. But sweet potatoes? Here’s a food that’s naturally sweet and healthy at the same time? A vegetable that’s simple to prepare and almost tastes like dessert? (Am I the only one who tries to convince my children of this?)
Lately we’ve been eating roasted sweet potato rounds like crazy. Even the kids love them. Julia loves the skins around the outside, and William likes the middles. A perfect pair, these two are. 🙂 Have I told you that Julia eats pizza starting from the cheesy part and leaves the crust, while William starts at the crust and leaves most of the rest?
Sweet potatoes are one of the first foods we’ve fed to Hannah, and she loves them. We’re doing a combination of baby led weaning and baby purees with her. One of the easiest foods to prepare for her is roasted sweet potato sticks. She loves having her own piece of sweet potato to nibble on as we eat our dinner!
There’s something for everyone in this Roasted Sweet Potato and Arugula Pasta with Chickpeas. My kids eat a deconstructed version of this, with pasta, roasted sweet potato, chickpeas, dried cranberries, and goat cheese on their plates. Brad and I enjoy it as is, and it’s a filling meatless meal. The chickpeas provide protein, as does the whole wheat pasta. Between the roasted sweet potatoes, arugula, pepitas, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and light vinaigrette, this dish is packed with flavor!
This Roasted Sweet Potato and Arugula Pasta with Chickpeas packs up nicely for lunches too. I made it again earlier this week so that we can get out of our peanut butter and jelly sandwich routine for a few days.
Remember last month when I introduced you to the 30 Minute Thursday series that some blogger friends and I are doing? If you’re new to the series, here’s how it goes. On the first Thursday of every month we’ll each share an easy meal that you can make from start to finish in just 30 minutes. If you’re a fan of quick dinners, be sure to check out the links after the recipe for other 30 minute meals!
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 2 cups (packed, 3-4 ounces) baby arugula
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 2 ounces goat cheese*
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Peel the sweet potato and chop into ½-inch pieces; place in a microwave- and oven-safe baking dish. Toss sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through. Transfer the dish with the sweet potatoes to the oven, being careful as it will be hot. Roast potatoes for 13-15 minutes, until tender.
- When the pasta water is at a boil, add the pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- To the pot with the cooked, drained pasta, add the arugula, chickpeas, and dressing; stir to combine. Gently stir in the sweet potatoes, pepitas, and cherries or cranberries. Serve topped with crumbled goat cheese. This dish can be enjoyed warm or cold.
Check out these 30 minute meals from friends:
Hazelnut Chicken One Pot Pasta by Bake. Eat. Repeat.
30-Minute Farro Fried “Rice” by Flavor the Moments
Cauliflower-Apple Fritters with Mixed Greens by Floating Kitchen
Veggie-Packed Peanut Noodles by Flying on Jess Fuel
Alice Springs Shrimp Quesadilla by Maebells
Unstuffed Pepper Bake by Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Sun Dried Tomatoes and White Beans by Sweet Peas & Saffron
One-Pot Italian Chicken and Orzo Pasta by Whole and Heavenly Oven