Baked Chicken Legs
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This easy recipe for juicy Baked Chicken Legs is a family favorite! Chicken drumsticks are seasoned with a delicious mix of spices and baked in the oven until the skin gets nice and crispy.
Easy Chicken Legs Recipe
When you need an easy dinner idea that will have everyone at the table asking for seconds, baked chicken legs are it! This baked chicken legs recipe makes flavorful, juicy chicken drumsticks with the best golden brown crispy skin.
This meal is super easy to make (10 minutes prep!) and so family-friendly. After tossing the drumsticks with the seasonings, you’ll pop them in the oven and let the oven do the rest of the work. Serve the chicken with your favorite side dishes (we love them with Biscuits and Corn on the Cob), and enjoy!
The Best Seasoning Blend
To season the drumsticks I used a slight variation of my favorite Chicken Seasoning. It’s a simple mix of pantry spices that add so much flavor to the chicken. For the seasoning you’ll need paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
When tossing the chicken legs with the seasonings, I like to pull back some of the skin to get seasonings on the meat. This way, even if you don’t eat the skin, you’ll still get to enjoy the delicious seasonings!
How to Bake Chicken Legs
Prepare a rimmed baking sheet by lining it with foil and greasing the foil with cooking spray or oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
Combine the seasonings in a small bowl.
Pat the chicken legs dry and place them in a large bowl.
Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and toss to coat the chicken in the oil.
Sprinkle the seasonings evenly over the chicken. Then toss to coat the chicken legs in the seasoning.
Bake. Place the chicken legs on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 400° F, flipping them over halfway through baking, until cooked through.
Rest. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. This helps to keep the meat juicy.
How Long to Bake Chicken Legs
At 400° F, chicken legs will take about 40-45 minutes to cook through, depending on their size and the natural variation between ovens. Flip them over halfway through the cook time to evenly crisp the skin. Baked chicken legs are done when the meat registers at least 165° F on an instant read thermometer. I like to cook chicken legs to 175° F because it makes the skin extra crispy. The bone and dark meat will keep the chicken from drying out if cooked beyond 165° F.
What to Serve with Chicken Legs
- Mashed Potatoes. You’ll love my classic Mashed Potatoes Recipe!
- Biscuits. These Drop Biscuits are especially quick and easy to make.
- Corn on the Cob. Use your preferred cooking method: Instant Pot Corn on the Cob, Air Fryer Corn on the Cob or How to Boil Corn on the Cob.
- Slaw. Crisp, creamy Coleslaw or Broccoli Slaw is the perfect side dish for chicken legs.
- Fruit. You can’t go wrong with a sweet, juicy Fruit Salad.
- Macaroni Salad. This classic side dish is always a hit!
Looking for more chicken leg recipes? These Air Fryer Chicken Legs are another favorite!
Best Baked Chicken Legs
- cooking spray or oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 chicken drumsticks, about 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Lightly grease the foil with cooking spray or oil.
- Combine the paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir to mix.
- Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with paper towels and place them in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the drumsticks and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the seasonings evenly over the chicken and toss to coat all of the chicken with the seasonings.
- Place drumsticks in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet with a bit of room in between each piece of chicken. Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning the drumsticks over halfway through the cooking time, until the chicken is cooked through to at least 165° F when measured with an instant read thermometer. (I find that chicken legs are best when cooked to 175° F.)
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.