Honey BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
Easy Honey BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos, filled with a creamy mixture of chicken, cheese, and homemade BBQ sauce! Cooking the chicken in the crock pot makes it so tender and full of delicious BBQ flavor!
These Honey BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos… they’re my favorite easy meal right now! With these taquitos, you get a lot of payoff for your (minimal) efforts. The recipe makes about 18 good-sized taquitos. Depending on the size of your family, you should have plenty of leftovers.
Freeze those leftover taquitos, and you’ll have the easiest meal ever waiting and ready for super busy nights. These freeze so well, and I’ve included freezer directions in the recipe below.
Also try my simple baked chicken taquitos recipe!
I love using my slow cooker to cook chicken for dishes such as enchiladas, tacos, and taquitos. You can set it and forget it, and the cooked meat is always fall-apart tender. The chicken for these taquitos cooks in a quick homemade BBQ sauce, so it comes out of the slow cooker already full of sweet BBQ flavor. You’ll add more of the sauce to the taquito filling, too!
Be sure to try my crockpot BBQ chicken recipe if you love BBQ chicken. It makes the best BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches!
Feeding kids is a struggle. One day they love sweet potatoes. The next day they won’t take a bite without acting overly dramatic and spitting it out. It seems the list of foods that my three will eat is always shrinking.
I keep offering them a variety of foods on their plates, and I’m sure (I hope!) that one day they’ll learn to enjoy most foods.
It’s the best when we find a new dinner recipe that everybody loves. We’re almost there with these Honey BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos. William will eat a few bites of these, but not more. The rest of us happily gobble up these chicken taquitos! Four out of five isn’t bad, right? 😉
Why you’ll love these slow cooker chicken taquitos:
- Your slow cooker makes cooking the chicken almost effortless, and makes the meat extra tender.
- This recipe makes a big batch of taquitos with little effort, so you can plan ahead and stock your freezer for busy days.
- This family-friendly meal is perfect for parties AND busy weeknights!
Honey BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos
For the BBQ Sauce:
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 ounces cream cheese (cut into cubes and softened)
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 18 small whole grain tortillas
- cooking spray
- kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all BBQ sauce ingredients.
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Pour BBQ sauce over top of chicken. Cover and cook on low heat for 3-3 ½ hours, or for 2 hours on high.
- Once chicken is cooked through, transfer to a large bowl, leaving the extra sauce in the slow cooker. Add cornstarch to the liquid left in the slow cooker and whisk until completely dissolved. Increase heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken. To the shredded chicken, add ¾ cup of the thickened sauce from the slow cooker, the cream cheese, Monterey jack cheese, and cilantro. Stir until well combined. (Reserve the extra BBQ sauce for serving.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If needed (to keep them from tearing), warm tortillas in the microwave between two paper towels until soft enough to roll. Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon about ¼ cup of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of the tortillas and roll up as tightly as you can.
- Place taquitos, seam-side-down, on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. (At this point, you can freeze some of the taquitos for later. See the note below for instructions.)*
- Spray taquitos lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for 12-16 minutes, until lightly golden. Serve with additional BBQ sauce, if desired.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!