Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Quinoa
This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Quinoa is a hearty vegetarian chili that’s full of protein and flavor!
How was your weekend? Mine was busy and flew by, but it was full of good things!. Saturday night my twin nieces visited so we had five kids in our house. The kids have so much fun with their cousins, and play together really well. Playtime, mac and cheese for dinner, movie night, and pancakes for breakfast… they were happy campers!
Speaking of happy campers, yesterday we attended my nephew’s 1st birthday party. The party theme was “Happy Camper” and it was adorable! My sister is so talented when it comes to planning parties and making decorations. She’s helped me with many of the parties that I’ve thrown for my own kids. This cake is just a small peek at the party – I helped with the cake baking, but the decorations and presentation are all my sister.
So much weekend fun meant that I didn’t have time to test or photograph any new recipes this weekend. Luckily, I have quite a few recipes that I made in December and January ready to share with you!
One of which is this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Quinoa. Sweet potato and black bean recipes are always a hit, both with my husband and I, and with readers. This Mexican Quinoa and Sweet Potato Skillet and these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas are two delicious examples.
This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is:
- hearty and filling, thanks to the fiber and protein-rich black beans, quinoa and sweet potatoes.
- vegetarian and vegan, when made with vegetable broth. (Leave off the cheese and Greek yogurt toppings to make this vegan.)
- easy to make – you can have it ready in about 35 minutes!
The best part about chili is that you can add your favorite toppings. There are so many options… avocado, green onions, chopped red onion, Greek yogurt, grated cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and more. I like to top mine with avocado, Greek yogurt, and sometimes grated cheddar. How do you like your chili?
You can make this chili with canned black beans, or homemade black beans. If you have an Instant Pot (pressure cooker) it is so easy to cook black beans from scratch, no pre-soaking required! Learn how to cook dry black beans in your Instant Pot here.
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (more as desired, I made mine mild for the kids)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil and the sweet potatoes to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spices, followed by the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and broth. Stir in the quinoa.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the black beans and continue cooking for about 10 minutes more, until quinoa and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Serve with toppings as desired: Greek yogurt or sour cream, avocado, grated cheese, cilantro, green onion.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!