Slow Cooker Maple Chicken Stew
This Slow Cooker Maple Chicken Stew is full of healthy vegetables and flavor! It cooks all day in your crock pot, so it’s perfect for busy workdays.
When you look at my top 10 most popular recipes, three of them are slow cooker recipes. Surprised? I can’t say that I am. I know how much I love to use my slow cooker, so it makes sense that you do too.
So what’s a girl to do? Bring you more crock pot recipes of course! Today we’ve got this Slow Cooker Maple Chicken Stew, and I also highly recommend my Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup. It’s quick to prep and so comforting.
And just in case your curiosity is getting the best of you… those top 3 slow cooker recipes that are always getting clicked and viewed are my Slow Cooker Apple Crisp, Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole, and, of course, this easy Slow Cooker Lasagna.
Today we’re talking slow cooker chicken stew. This Slow Cooker Maple Chicken Stew to be exact. I’ve tried a number of slow cooker chicken stew recipes over the years, but I never did find a favorite.
This stew, though. This one is it. It’s packed with vegetables, including root vegetables which are abundant this time of year. The vegetables are totally customizable, so you can use what you like best. Not a fan of turnips? Swap them out for some celery or extra carrots. So long as you keep the general amount of potatoes/veggies the same, you’ll be just fine with making substitutions.
I’ve used a combination of soy sauce and maple syrup to give this stew lots of flavor. The maple syrup adds a subtle sweetness, and the flavorful sauce soaks into the chicken and vegetables. Cooking the stew low and slow all day leads to tender, fall apart chicken… yum!
Other than mixing in a bit of cornstarch at the end and shredding the chicken, this Slow Cooker Maple Chicken Stew is a set-it-and-forget-it type of meal. It cooks for 7-8 hours on low, and even if you let it go an hour longer than that it will still be delish. So it’s perfect for cooking on workdays when you’ll be gone all day. Chop everything and mix up the sauce the night before and then all you’ll have to do in the morning is throw it in the slow cooker and press start. At the end of the day, you’ll be so glad when dinner is ready!
Slow Cooker Maple Chicken Stew
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 medium red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 turnips cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 6 carrots sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- fresh parsley for serving (optional)
- Place onion, potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and carrots in the slow cooker. Nestle chicken breasts on top of the vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Add the broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and transfer to a bowl; shred into bite-sized pieces. Remove ¼ cup broth from the slow cooker and place in a small bowl. Whisk the cornstarch into the broth in the bowl and then pour the mixture into the slow cooker; stir gently. Return the chicken to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low heat. Serve.
Hungry for more slow cooker comfort foods?
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Quinoa Chili Soup from Kristine’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Harvest Beef Stew from Whole and Heavenly Oven
Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew from Sweet Peas and Saffron
Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Verde from Maebells
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!