As summer weather approaches, how about whipping up a batch of ice cream? I highly recommend this chocolate raspberry version. The chocolate raspberry combo is one of my favorites, and both flavors really come through in this ice cream. I used frozen raspberries, and they worked perfectly. I take advantage of frozen fruit in my cooking and baking whenever I can, because it’s both cost effective and available year round. Next time, I think I’ll try substituting frozen cherries for the raspberries to make chocolate cherry ice cream… I can hardly wait!
One year ago: Pizza with Pesto and Tomatoes
Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream
Makes about 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
- Whisk together the cream, cocoa powder, and sugar in a large saucepan. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, roiling boil (it will start to foam up). Remove from the heat and add the raspberries. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in a food processor or blender. Press the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds (if desired).
- Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Recipe from The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz