Grilled Chicken Fajitas
These Chicken Fajitas are so quick and easy to make, with a delicious mix of seasonings. With a flavorful chicken fajita marinade and grilled vegetables, this chicken fajita recipe is a favorite easy meal!
My easy guacamole recipe and restaurant-style salsa recipe are the perfect toppings for your chicken fajitas. On the side, try my Mexican Instant Pot black beans or Instant Pot pinto beans and Instant Pot corn on the cob.
Best Chicken Fajita Recipe
The best chicken fajitas are grilled chicken fajitas! Not only is this fajita chicken grilled to juicy perfection, it is perfectly seasoned with a simple marinade made of lime juice, garlic, honey and spices. I’ve taken all of my best tips for making perfect grilled chicken breasts and used them to make these the best homemade fajitas.
These fajitas are one of my family’s favorite dinners. Everyone can mix and match the fajita ingredients to make their chicken fajitas just how they like them. Warm tortillas, flavorful strips of seasoned grilled chicken and tender veggies, topped with fresh avocado or guacamole… there is so much to love about this meal. You’re going to want to make this easy chicken fajitas recipe all summer long!
How to Make Fajitas
The first step to making chicken fajitas is to make the seasoning marinade.
Chicken Fajita Marinade
For our chicken fajita seasoning, we’re making a simple fajita marinade. The marinade is made with just a few ingredients, but it makes the BEST chicken fajitas! You probably have all of the ingredients in your kitchen already, with possibly the exception of the lime juice.
For the fajita marinade you will need:
- olive oil
- lime juice
- chili powder
- salt and pepper.
You’ll combine the marinade ingredients in a zip-top bag and then add the chicken to the bag.
Before putting the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate, I recommend pounding it to an even thickness. You can do this right in the marinating bag, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Pounding the chicken will help it to cook evenly and will also make it more tender.
Then marinate your chicken in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
How to Cook Fajitas
- Grill the Fajita Chicken: You’ll want to start grilling the chicken before putting the veggies on the grill, since the chicken takes longer to cook through. Grill the chicken for 5-8 minutes per side. Start cooking the chicken on the hottest part of the grill to sear it and to get good grill marks. Then finish cooking the chicken breasts over medium heat until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Grill the Peppers and Onions: Slice the onion into thick rounds and cut the bell peppers in half (remove the seeds and ribs). Put the peppers and onions on the grill when the chicken has been cooking for about 5 minutes. You’ll grill the vegetables for about 5 minutes per side, flipping them over once. If you want to cook the peppers and onions on your stove instead of grilling them, see the tips below.
Serve Chicken Fajitas
Slice the chicken and vegetables and serve them in warmed tortillas, with toppings as desired. You can warm the tortillas on the grill, on the stove, in the microwave (lay them between paper towels), or in the oven (wrapped in foil).
Tips for this Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Use a variety of colors of peppers for a colorful meal. You eat with your eyes first!
- If you prefer, you can slice the vegetables into strips and cook them in a skillet on the stove instead of grilling them. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and pan fry the veggies over medium heat until crisp-tender.
- After you grill the chicken, be sure to let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing it. The rest time allows the juices to redistribute throughout the chicken and keeps the chicken moist.
- Use leftover fajita chicken and vegetables to make fajita burrito bowls. Add rice or quinoa, beans, fresh tomatoes, guacamole, salsa or sour cream, as desired.
More Easy Fajita Recipes
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
For the Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice from 2 limes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Vegetables
- 1 large red onion sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 2 bell peppers halved and stems, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
Marinate the Chicken
- Combine the 2 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, garlic, honey, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a large zip top bag. Seal the bag and use your hands to mix the marinade ingredients together.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bag, seal it well and pound the chicken to an even thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. (Optional, pounding the chicken helps it to cook more evenly and makes it more tender.)
- Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
Grill the Chicken and Vegetables
- Brush both sides of the bell pepper halves and onion rounds with the 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil.
- Clean the grates of an outdoor gas or charcoal grill. Oil the grill grates and then heat the grill to medium-high (375-450° F).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the extra marinade. Grill the chicken for 5-8 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. For the best grill marks and juicy chicken, begin grilling the chicken on the hottest part of the grill and then move it to medium heat to finish cooking through. Close the grill lid to keep the heat in the grill to help the chicken cook through.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, grill the peppers and onions over medium heat, flipping them once, about 10 minutes total. (If you prefer, you can cook the veggies in a skillet on the stove. Skip the step of brushing them with olive oil, slice the veggies into strips and cook in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp-tender).
- Slice the chicken, peppers and onions and serve in tortillas with toppings as desired.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!