Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes are an easy and delicious side dish! These honey roasted sweet potatoes have crispy, caramelized edges and soft centers. One of our favorite sweet potato recipes!
I’ve been making these oven roasted sweet potatoes for years and they turn out perfect every time. This sweet potato recipe is one of my go-to recipes when I need a quick, healthy side dish that’s packed with flavor.
You’ll love this recipe because it is so simple, and it yields delicious results!
Before roasting, these honey roasted sweet potatoes are coated with a mixture of olive oil, honey, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Just like with my crispy baked sweet potato fries, the oven works its magic on these roasted sweet potatoes. Baking sweet potatoes browns and caramelizes the edges, while the centers get nice and soft.
It’s hard to resist eating the whole batch of these crispy roasted sweet potatoes right off of the pan!
How to cut sweet potatoes
To cube sweet potatoes, start by scrubbing them clean with a vegetable brush and peeling them. If your sweet potato doesn’t have a flat side after peeling, slice off a small piece from one side. This will create a stable base to rest the potato on as you cut it.
Next, use a sharp chef’s knife to carefully cut the sweet potato into wedges. Slice each wedge into sticks. Finally, chop each stick into cubes.
How to roast sweet potatoes
To make this roasted sweet potatoes recipe, you’ll start by peeling and chopping your sweet potatoes. Cut the sweet potatoes into 3/4-inch cubes. Try to make the cubes approximately the same size so that the sweet potato pieces will cook evenly.
Put the sweet potato pieces on a baking sheet that you’ve lined with parchment paper. The parchment will keep the sweet potatoes from sticking to the pan so that clean up is easy.
Next, you’ll whisk together the seasoning mixture that will coat and flavor the sweet potatoes. We are going to use the same method that I use for my simple roasted carrots: whisk the olive oil and seasonings together in a small bowl and then pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Combining the ingredients first and then tossing the glaze over the sweet potatoes ensures that spices are evenly distributed over all of the sweet potatoes.
For the best roasted sweet potatoes with crispy, browned edges, roast at 425° Fahrenheit. The high temperature helps to caramelize the edges and gives them the most delicious flavor.
How long does it take to roast sweet potatoes in the oven?
If cut into 3/4-inch cubes for this recipe, sweet potatoes take 25 to 30 minutes to cook at 425° F. Gently flip the sweet potatoes after 15 minutes in the oven to help them cook evenly. Then continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes more, until they are golden brown around the edges and soft in the middle.
Watch the sweet potatoes closely near the end of the baking time because they can go from just right to burnt quickly. Smaller sweet potato cubes will cook faster than larger pieces.
Do you have to peel sweet potatoes before roasting?
You do not have to peel the skin of the sweet potatoes because the skin is edible. However, my family prefers the texture and flavor of peeled roasted sweet potatoes so I peel the skins. Leave the skins on for baked whole sweet potatoes.
How to use leftover sweet potatoes
If you have leftover roasted sweet potatoes, they are delicious alongside eggs for breakfast. Or, add them to tacos, burrito bowls or vegetarian enchiladas for a healthy dinner. Store leftover roasted sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat the roasted sweet potatoes in the microwave.
Tips for making the best oven roasted sweet potatoes
- Cut your sweet potatoes into pieces that are approximately the same size, for even cooking.
- Try cutting your sweet potatoes into different shapes. I’ll often cut them into matchsticks to make sweet potato fries that are easy for my kids to pick up.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking pan. You want your sweet potatoes in a single layer with a little room in between so the air can circulate. This leads to the crispy edges that are so tasty.
- Watch the sweet potatoes closely near the end of the baking time as they can go from perfectly caramelized to burnt quickly.
- Try seasoning your sweet potatoes with different spices before roasting. I like to add some chili powder to this recipe for spicy-sweet roasted sweet potatoes. Garlic powder, paprika and chili powder make a savory alternative seasoning for roasted sweet potatoes.
- Pure maple syrup can be substituted for the honey to make maple roasted sweet potatoes. Using maple syrup instead of honey makes this recipe vegan.
More favorite sweet potato recipes:
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Taquitos
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- More Sweet Potato Recipes
Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (3 medium or 2 large, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet, using two baking sheets if needed to fit all of the sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Pour over the sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stir. Continue baking for 10-15 minutes more, until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. They should start to turn golden and caramelize around the edges.
- You can substitute pure maple syrup for the honey.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!