Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
These easy roasted sweet potatoes with a touch of honey and cinnamon are perfectly browned and crispy around the edges. This is one of our favorite sweet potato recipes.
I’ve been making these healthy oven roasted sweet potatoes for years and they turn out perfect every time.
The sweet potatoes are coated with a mixture of olive oil, honey, cinnamon, salt and pepper and then baked in the oven. Just like with my crispy baked sweet potato fries, the oven works its magic on these roasted sweet potatoes. Baking sweet potatoes browns and caramelize the edges and the centers get nice and soft. It’s hard to resist eating the whole batch right off of the pan! So delicious! If you love roasted vegetables as much as I do, try my roasted green beans, roasted butternut squash, roasted brussels sprouts or roasted broccoli.
Roasted sweet potatoes are a healthy, easy weeknight side dish. They would also be a colorful addition to your Thanksgiving table. This sweet potato recipe is so simple and you can adapt the seasonings to change the flavors.
How to roast sweet potatoes
To make this roasted sweet potatoes recipe, you’ll start by peeling and chopping your sweet potatoes. You want to cut your sweet potatoes into cubes that are approximately the same size so that the sweet potato pieces will cook evenly.
Put the sweet potato pieces on a baking sheet that you’ve lined with parchment paper. The parchment will keep the sweet potatoes from sticking to the pan and make clean-up easy.
Next, you’ll whisk together the seasoning mixture that you will use to coat and flavor the sweet potatoes. We are going to use the same method that I use for my simple roasted carrots: whisk the olive oil and seasonings together in a small bowl and then pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Combining the ingredients first and then tossing the glaze over the sweet potatoes ensures that spices are evenly distributed over all of the sweet potatoes.
For the best roasted sweet potatoes with crispy, browned edges, roast at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. The high temperature helps to caramelize the sweet potatoes and gives them the most delicious flavor.
Bake your sweet potatoes for 15 minutes and then gently turn them. Continue baking for 10-15 minutes more, until they are golden brown around the edges and soft in the middle. Watch them closely near the end of the baking time because they can go from just right to burnt quickly. Smaller sweet potato cubes will cook faster than larger pieces.
If you have leftover roasted sweet potatoes, they are delicious alongside eggs for breakfast. Or, add them to tacos or enchiladas along with some black beans for a healthy dinner. Store leftover roasted sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat the roasted sweet potatoes in the microwave.
Tips for making the best oven roasted sweet potatoes
- Cut your sweet potatoes into pieces that are approximately the same size, for even cooking.
- Try cutting your sweet potatoes into different shapes. I’ll often cut them into matchstick shapes to make sweet potato fries that are easy for my kids to pick up. I usually don’t even peel them before cutting.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking pan. You want your sweet potatoes in a single layer with a little room in between so the air can circulate. This leads to the crispy edges that are so tasty.
- Watch the sweet potatoes closely near the end of the baking time as they can go from perfectly caramelized to burnt quickly.
- Try seasoning your sweet potatoes with different spices before roasting. I like to add some chili powder to this recipe for spicy-sweet roasted sweet potatoes. Yum!
- Pure maple syrup can be substituted for the honey to make maple roasted sweet potatoes. Using maple syrup instead of honey makes this recipe vegan.
- Garlic powder, paprika and chili powder make a savory alternative seasoning for roasted sweet potatoes.
- These are my favorite baking sheets for roasting vegetables.
Do you have to peel sweet potatoes before roasting?
You do not have to peel the skin of the sweet potatoes because the skin is edible. However, my family prefers the texture and flavor of peeled roasted sweet potatoes so I peel the skins. Leave the skins on when baked whole sweet potatoes.
How long does it take to roast sweet potatoes in the oven?
If cut into 1-inch cubes for this recipe, the sweet potatoes take 25-30 minutes to cook at 425 degrees.
More favorite sweet potato recipes:
Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes 3 medium or 2 large, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet, using two baking sheets if needed to fit all of the sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Pour over the sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stir. Continue baking for 10-15 minutes more, until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. They should start to turn golden and caramelize around the edges.
- You can substitute pure maple syrup for the honey.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!