Crockpot Chicken and Mushrooms
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Crockpot Chicken and Mushrooms is a delicious slow cooker recipe, made with chicken thighs, mushrooms and orzo pasta. One of our favorite crock pot recipes for an easy weeknight dinner!
Chicken and Mushrooms
Chicken and mushrooms are a classic combination, conjuring up feelings of comfort food dinners at home. Crockpot chicken is a busy parent’s best friend for quick dinners, and this mushroom chicken recipe is no exception. Using your crockpot allows you to prep this easy meal ahead of time, so your dinner will be ready when you’re ready to eat on a busy weeknight.
Chicken thighs are perfect for cooking in your crockpot because they don’t dry out as easily as chicken breasts can – see my easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes and this slow cooker chicken thighs recipe for two more tasty examples. If you prefer to make this mushroom chicken with chicken breasts, see my tips below.
My family loves crockpot chicken recipes, and this crockpot chicken and mushrooms is one of my favorites because the chicken, mushrooms and orzo pasta all cook together in the slow cooker. Serve with a spinach salad or these roasted green beans for a healthy and easy meal.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken
There are just a few simple steps to make this easy crock pot recipe:
- Brown the chicken. You might be tempted to skip this step, but I think it’s worth the effort to take a few minutes to sear the chicken in a skillet before adding it to your slow cooker. Browning the chicken adds flavor to the finished dish.
- Sauté the mushrooms and onions. Since you’ll already have a hot skillet on the stove, you’ll also sauté the mushrooms, onions and garlic before adding them to your slow cooker. Again, this adds depth of flavor to the crockpot chicken and mushrooms.
- Add ingredients to the slow cooker. You’ll season the chicken and mushrooms with salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder and paprika. Finally, add one cup of chicken broth. The broth will be absorbed later when you add the orzo to the slow cooker.
- Slow cook. You can cook the chicken and mushrooms on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Different slow cookers can cook slightly differently, so use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken is cooked through. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees F.
- Stir in the orzo during the last 20 minutes of cook time. Once the chicken is cooked, you’ll stir in uncooked orzo pasta. Make sure that all of the orzo is in contact with the broth in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the orzo is tender.
Crockpot Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are perfect for this recipe because they stay moist in the crockpot. The recipe instructions below give the cook time for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Crockpot Bone-In Chicken Thighs
If you prefer to use bone-in chicken thighs, be sure to follow the recommended step of sautéing the chicken in a skillet before adding it to your slow cooker. This helps to brown and crisp the skin. You may need to add about one hour to the cook time if using bone-in chicken thighs.
Crockpot Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts will work well in this recipe. If using chicken breasts, you don’t need to brown the chicken before adding it to your crockpot. Since you don’t need a skillet for the chicken, you may want to skip the step of sautéing the mushrooms, onion and garlic to save time, although you will sacrifice some flavor. Use the same cook time as for boneless chicken thighs.
Cooking Tips for Crockpot Chicken and Mushrooms
- For the richest flavor, be sure to sauté the chicken, mushrooms and onions before adding them to your crockpot.
- Crimini (baby bella) mushrooms are my favorite in this recipe. Regular white button mushrooms also work well.
- I like to serve this dish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Want to make this recipe in your Instant Pot? Try my Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms!
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Crockpot Orange Chicken
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Breast
Crockpot Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, see note below
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley, optional, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- To the same hot skillet, add the onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until onions and mushrooms start to soften and onions brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer onions, mushrooms and garlic to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the dried oregano, garlic powder, paprika and chicken broth. Stir gently.
- Cook on low setting for 4-5 hours or high setting for 2-2½ hours, until chicken is cooked through. (Chicken should register at least 165° F on an instant read thermometer.)
- Stir in the orzo, making sure it is all in contact with the liquid, and cook on high for 15-20 minutes, until orzo is tender. Orzo cooking time will depend on your slow cooker.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, as desired.
- To use boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Skip the step of browning the chicken. Sautéing the mushrooms, onions and garlic is optional. Keep the cook time the same.
- To use bone-in chicken thighs: Be sure to sear the chicken in a skillet to brown and crisp the skin. You may need to add about one hour to the cook time for bone-in thighs.