We eat grilled cheese sandwiches pretty often in our house. We’re not huge fans of lunchmeat, but sandwiches are such a fast and easy lunch option. PB&J is our other sandwich staple (I know, we’re pretty exciting when it comes to lunches around here!), as well as the occasional egg salad or tuna sandwich, with some leftovers or bean and cheese burritos thrown in from time to time.
The grilled cheese sandwich that you see here makes lunchtime something to look forward to. Apple slices, shallots, and dijon add tons of flavor to the base of ooey gooey cheese. These sandwiches also are a great option for an easy dinner- just add some fruit or a salad and dinner’s ready.
One year ago: Greek Pizza
Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach or baby arugula
- Sliced or shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. butter, softened
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and Dijon until smooth; set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread a little bit of butter on one side of each slice of bread. Layer the apple, spinach, cheese, shallots, and honey mustard between each two slices of bread. You may not use all of the honey mustard, depending on your tastes.
- Place the sandwiches in a nonstick skillet or grill pan and grill over medium heat until lightly crisped and golden on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Serve immediately.
Source: Adapted from The Curvy Carrot.