Broccoli Stir Fry
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This easy Broccoli Stir Fry has crisp-tender broccoli, mushrooms and bell peppers in a flavorful Stir Fry Sauce. It’s quick to make and perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
As I was testing this Sautéed Broccoli recipe, I tried a version with an Asian spin and this tasty broccoli stir fry was born. It immediately became one of our favorite healthy lunch recipes. You’ll appreciate the short ingredient list, fast prep and fantastic flavor. Enjoy it for lunch or dinner, as a main course or side dish.
Like this Vegetable Stir Fry, this broccoli stir fry is packed with good-for-you veggies in a delicious savory sauce. You’re going to love it!
Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe Ingredients
Stir Fry Sauce for Broccoli Stir Fry
For this easy broccoli stir fry I used a slight variation on my favorite homemade Stir Fry Sauce. You’ll need water, soy sauce, honey, minced garlic, fresh ginger, black pepper and cornstarch to make the sauce. I also like to add a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes for extra heat, but that is optional.
The remaining stir fry ingredients are:
- Olive Oil: For sautéing the veggies.
- Broccoli: Chop it into bite-size florets.
- Cremini Mushrooms: Adds delicious texture and flavor and makes the stir fry more hearty.
- Bell Pepper: You can use red, yellow or orange bell pepper depending on what you have on hand.
- Cooked Rice and Sesame Seeds: For serving.
Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
- You can easily switch up the vegetables used in this recipe to make it your own. Try thinly sliced carrots, bok choy, snap peas, onion, zucchini or yellow squash.
- Want to make a chicken broccoli stir fry? Try my popular Chicken Stir Fry recipe.
- Add cashews, peanuts or almonds for added crunch, fiber and protein.
How to Make Broccoli Stir Fry
- Make the stir fry sauce by mixing together all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir-fry the vegetables. First, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then add the broccoli and mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2-3 more minutes, until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Add the sauce and cook for 1 minute, until the sauce thickens.
- Cut the broccoli into small bite-size pieces so that it will quickly become tender in the hot pan.
- Cook the vegetables to crisp-tender. It’s best if they have a little bite to them, rather than be mushy.
- As you stir fry the veggies, adjust the heat between medium and medium-high as needed when cooking. If the pan seems to be getting too hot on medium-high, turn it down a bit.
- To make a gluten free broccoli stir fry, substitute the soy sauce with gluten-free coconut aminos, gluten-free tamari or gluten-free soy sauce.
Serve broccoli stir fry over rice, cauliflower rice (a great low carb option), or noodles. Try one of these easy rice recipes:
More Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli Stir Fry
For the Sauce:
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste, optional for added spice)
For the Stir Fry:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound broccoli (chopped into bite-sized florets)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow or orange, sliced)
- cooked white or brown rice (for serving)
- sesame seeds (optional, for serving)
- Combine all stir fry sauce ingredients in a small bowl: water, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, black pepper, cornstarch and red pepper flakes (if using). Whisk to mix. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes. If you find that the pan is getting too hot on medium-high, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the bell pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Whisk the sauce again to recombine the ingredients. Pour the sauce into the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over cooked rice, garnished with sesame seeds if desired.
- Nutrition information estimate does not include rice.
- For a gluten free stir fry, substitute the soy sauce with gluten-free coconut aminos, gluten-free tamari or gluten-free soy sauce.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!