These Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Orange-Ginger Sauce are a light and healthy 30 minute meal that’s packed with flavor!
I’m so glad that this first week of the new year includes 30 Minute Thursday! Creating these 30 minute recipes is a challenge for me, but it’s one that I’m completely enjoying. Mostly for selfish reasons. 🙂 Cooking for my family these days has to be quick, so having a repertoire of healthy dinners that I can make in just 30 minutes is so handy.
If you’re new here and wondering what this 30 Minute Thursday business is all about, let me explain. On the first Thursday of every month, a few of my best blogging friends and I each share a dinner recipe that can be made in 30 minutes or less. You can find links to the other recipes for January at the bottom of this post.
Since it’s January and we’re all looking for some lighter eats, I thought a healthy lettuce wrap recipe would be appreciated. These Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Orange-Ginger Sauce are so full of flavor you’ll love eating healthy.
I’ve added lots of chopped veggies to bulk up the filling of these wraps. And the next night we even added some leftover cooked quinoa to make the leftovers go farther and it was delish! So in these wraps we’ve got chicken for protein, carrots and bell peppers for vegetables… and cashews for crunch!
While the chicken and veggies are cooking, you’ll whisk up a quick homemade sauce for these wraps. Then at the end you’ll stir in a pinch of red pepper flakes for spice, and sliced green onions for more color and flavor. You can add more or less red pepper flakes depending on your preferred spice level. I definitely use less when I’m serving this to my kids, and more if I’m making these for date night for Brad and I.
Speaking of date night, I know it’s still over a month away but these Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Orange-Ginger Sauce would be perfect for Valentine’s Day. For Valentine’s Brad and I like to stay in and cook dinner together after the kids are in bed, and an easy 30 minute meal is just what we need. Plus, food that you eat with your hands is perfect for date night, isn’t it? Unless it’s a first date. Messy foods that require extra napkins might not be what you’re looking for then. But if you’re an old married couple like us, these are completely acceptable date night fare. 🙂 Enjoy!
Hungry for more quick and easy dinners? I’ve saved a bunch for you on my Easy Weeknight Meals Pinterest board!
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- zest of 1 orange
- 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 large carrots, chopped small
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 cup lightly salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 16 leaves lettuce, for wrapping
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and cook, breaking it into pieces, while you chop the carrots and bell peppers. After the chicken has been cooking for about 5 minutes, add the chopped carrots and bell peppers to the skillet. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the cashews and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes more until most of the liquid has absorbed. Stir in the green onions and remove from the heat.
- Place chicken and vegetable mixture in a serving bowl and let everyone assemble their own lettuce wraps at the table. Enjoy!
Teriyaki Chicken Stir-fry from Bake.Eat.Repeat.
30-Minute Three Bean Chipotle Quinoa Chili from Flavor the Moments
Walnut-Crusted Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Salad from Floating Kitchen
Skinny Beef and Broccoli from Life Made Sweeter
30 Minute Chicken Stew from The Recipe Rebel
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla from Pumpkin ‘N Spice
30 Minute Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice from Savory Nothings
30 Minute Black Bean Soup with Pico De Gallo from She Likes Food
30-Minute Chicken Basil Pesto Pasta Skillet from Whole and Heavenly Oven