A delicious breakfast bread that’s made with white whole wheat flour and sweetened with pure maple syrup and banana, so you can feel good about eating it. You’ll definitely want a second slice of this Favorite Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread, warm from the oven!
Ever since I first made these Light and Fluffy Blueberry Banana Muffins, my family cannot get enough of them. On any given day, you’ll likely find a stash of them in our freezer, ready for quick breakfasts and snacks. They’re healthy, yet still taste like a treat. Which is why I love them so much – they satisfy my sweet tooth yet I feel like I’m making a healthy enough choice when I eat them.
Since we loved the blueberry banana combination so much in the muffins, I decided to forgo my usual banana bread recipe and give a healthy blueberry banana version a go. It was major success on the first try, and we’ve been enjoying loaf after loaf of this bread ever since! So much so that I feel completely justified in calling it Our Favorite Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread.
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
I made a loaf of this bread the other morning when my parents and brother were coming over for a visit. It literally took me ten minutes (fifteen, tops) to mix up the batter and get the loaf in the oven to bake. The ingredient list is simple, and there’s no need for a mixer. The best part? While this Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread bakes, it makes your kitchen smell absolutely amazing. You will have a hard time waiting to dig in!
Now, on to what makes this bread healthier than the usual banana bread. First off, it’s 100% whole wheat. I try to eat whole grains whenever possible and this bread fits that goal perfectly. I’m also watching the amount of refined sugar I consume, and I’m happy to say this bread is refined sugar free. I’ve used just 1/3 cup of maple syrup in the entire loaf and it is plenty sweet for my tastes. The blueberries and banana help by adding natural sweetness throughout the bread. I love baking with butter (nothing beats the taste of real butter), and I was able to use just ¼ cup because the mashed banana acts as a substitute for the rest of the butter.
Before I popped this Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread in the oven, for a second I though maybe I should add some streusel or a nut topping, you know, to fancy it up for the blog. But I didn’t. Because this is how we really eat. Quick and easy recipes that are healthy and delicious at the same time.
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup mashed, ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Add the mashed banana and stir to combine. Add the maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove bread from pan to a cooling rack. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Bread is best the day it is made, but still delicious on the second and third day.