This Coleslaw Dressing is creamy and so easy to make from scratch with just a handful of ingredients. Toss it with fresh shredded cabbage for the best homemade coleslaw, or use it to elevate the flavor of store-bought coleslaw mix.
Sure, you can buy a package of coleslaw mix at the store, but fresh is always better. The best part of my homemade Coleslaw Recipe is the from scratch coleslaw dressing! When you make this creamy dressing yourself, you can adjust the flavors to your preferences, making it a little sweeter or tangier so that it’s just how you like it.
Best Coleslaw Dressing
- This homemade coleslaw dressing has the best flavor! It’s creamy and slightly tangy with a touch of sweetness.
- You’ll need just five ingredients, plus salt and pepper, to make this from scratch.
- This easy coleslaw dressing recipe takes just minutes to mix up. You can even make it ahead and store it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Besides making the best classic coleslaw, this dressing is also perfect tossed with this Apple Slaw. It would make a delicious dressing for broccoli slaw as well!
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe, plus substitution options. Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
- Mayonnaise: Use a good quality mayonnaise for the best taste. Vegan mayo can be used if desired. I often make this with plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo for a healthy coleslaw dressing. The yogurt gives it a light, fresh flavor.
- Honey: Honey brings a touch of sweetness to the dressing. Pure maple syrup is a good substitute. You can also use granulated sugar.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This brightens the flavor and makes the dressing a little tangy.
- Dijon Mustard: I love the sharp, tangy flavor that a bit of Dijon brings. If you’re not a fan of mustard you can leave it out.
- Celery Seed: Ground celery seed gives this coleslaw dressing its characteristic look with flecks of celery seed throughout. The celery seed also adds a bit of an earthy flavor. If you don’t have celery seed on hand, the dressing can be made without it.
- Salt and Pepper: I always recommend tasting the dressing and adding more salt and pepper as desired, to your tastes.
How to Make Coleslaw Dressing
You can make this easy recipe in just two simple steps!
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the flavors as needed. You may want to add more honey for a sweeter dressing or more apple cider vinegar to make it tangier. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
To Make Coleslaw
To make coleslaw, mix about 3/4 of the dressing with either 6 cups of shredded cabbage and shredded carrots or one 14 ounce bag of store-bought coleslaw mix. I recommend that you do not add all of the dressing from the start because you can always add more to reach your desired creaminess. How much coleslaw dressing to use is up to you and depends on how creamy you like your coleslaw.
How Long Does Coleslaw Dressing Last?
This dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. For the best taste, chill the dressing before mixing it with your coleslaw mix.
Coleslaw is best served the day it is mixed with the dressing. If you want to make ahead, I recommend storing the coleslaw mix and dressing separately in the refrigerator. Mix them together no more than a few hours before you plan to serve the coleslaw.
More Homemade Dressings and Sauces
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Honey Mustard Dressing
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Vinaigrette Recipe
- Italian Dressing
- Fish Taco Sauce
- Greek Salad Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons honey*
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Taste the dressing and add more salt and pepper as needed. If you want the dressing sweeter, add a bit more honey. If you want it tangier, add a little more apple cider vinegar.
- Dressing can be used immediately or refrigerated for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
- To make coleslaw, toss about ¾ of the dressing with 6 cups of shredded cabbage and carrots, or a 14 ounce bag of coleslaw mix. Add more dressing as needed until the coleslaw is as creamy as you like it. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Coleslaw is best the day it is mixed with the dressing.
- Pure maple syrup may be substituted for the honey.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!