Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
This Honey Sesame Chicken is incredibly quick and easy to prep, and then your slow cooker does the rest!
I am always looking for more quick and easy recipes, and I bet you are too. When my days are especially busy, I like to use my crockpot to help me get dinner on the table. When I use my slow cooker, I can spend a few minutes prepping dinner earlier in the day, and then my evening cooking is so much easier.
I’ve made this honey sesame chicken more times than I can count, and I’ve adapted the recipe over the years to perfect it and make it a bit healthier. Below you’ll find the version that I always make now.
You can make this Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken with chicken thighs or breasts; I usually use chicken breasts because my family prefers white meat, but both will turn out equally well. If you use chicken thighs, be sure to trim off any excess fat before cooking.
How to make honey sesame chicken in the crockpot
To make this easy dinner recipe, you’ll start by putting the chicken in your crockpot. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add some chopped onion.
Next, you’ll combine the sauce ingredients: soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic and red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes add a little heat. You can omit them if your family doesn’t like their food at all spicy. If you want more sesame flavor, you can also add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
Pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook for 3-4 hours on low, or 2 hours on high, or until the chicken is done. The internal temperature should be 165° F when measured with an instant read thermometer. If you use chicken thighs, they may take a little longer to cook through.
When the chicken is done, you’ll remove it from the crockpot to rest for a few minutes while you make a cornstarch slurry. The slurry is a mixture of cornstarch and water and this will help to thicken the sauce. Add the cornstarch slurry to the slow cooker and cook the sauce on high for 10 to 20 minutes, or until thickened. If you prefer, you can thicken the sauce in a pot on the stove.
Shred the chicken and serve it over rice, drizzled with the sauce. We like to sprinkle on sesame seeds and sliced green onions. This Instant Pot rice is my favorite way to cook white rice when I make this sesame chicken recipe.
How to make freezer meal honey sesame chicken
This crockpot honey chicken recipe can be made as a freezer meal for an even quicker dinner! You can prep the ingredients and freeze before cooking. You’ll put ingredients in a heavy duty zip-top plastic bag and freeze flat. Full freezer meal instructions are in the recipe card below.
When you are ready to cook the honey sesame chicken, thaw and transfer the bag contents to your slow cooker. It’s so easy, and you will have a home cooked dinner for almost no effort!
I use these handy freezer bag holders when I prep my freezer meals. They aren’t necessary, but now that I’ve tried them I can’t believe how much faster and easier they make the process of preparing freezer meals!
And, because I’m betting that you need even more easy meals in your repertoire, here’s my favorite Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos recipe, and my tried and true Crockpot Lasagna recipe. I’ve also collected all of my best easy crockpot chicken recipes in one place!
Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 green onions chopped
- cooked brown or white rice for serving
- Place chicken in slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Add the onion.
- In a medium bowl, combine garlic, soy sauce, honey, ketchup and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours, for chicken breasts. Cook chicken thighs for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water; add to slow cooker. Stir to combine with sauce. Cook sauce on high for 10-20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces, return to slow cooker.
- Serve with rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Place onion, garlic, soy sauce, honey, ketchup, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if using) and chicken in a heavy duty zip top plastic bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal. Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- Thaw the bag (either 24 hours in refrigerator or in a bowl of water).
- Transfer bag contents to slow cooker and cook according to directions above.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!