Crockpot Chicken Recipes
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
These crockpot chicken recipes will help you to get delicious meals on your table with little effort. These easy chicken recipes can be prepped ahead in your slow cooker so dinner will be ready when you are!
Crockpot meals are one of my favorite ways to cook healthy dinners when life is busy. You can prep your ingredients the night before or in the morning, whenever you have time. Once you start your slow cooker, you can forget about cooking dinner and go about your day. You’ll have a hot meal ready to serve at the end of a long day.
I have shared many healthy crockpot recipes here at Kristine’s Kitchen because they are some of the meals that I cook most often for my own family. Many of my slow cooker recipes feature chicken because it’s a lean protein that’s versatile and kid-friendly.
Jump to the Crockpot Chicken Recipes
In this post I’ve collected my best chicken recipes, all in one place, to make them easy for you to access. These quick and easy meals are ready for your meal planning convenience.
Read more about how to use a slow cooker.
How to cook chicken breast in a slow cooker
- How long to cook chicken in a crockpot: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts will take 3-4 hours to cook on low or about 1.5-2 hours to cook on high. The cook time will vary slightly depending on how full your slow cooker is. Chicken is done when it cooks to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, measured with an instant read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat.
- To keep chicken breasts from drying out in the slow cooker, be careful to not overcook them. Chicken thighs are a little more forgiving and can be cooked for longer periods of time.
- Try to fill your slow cooker at least half full when cooking chicken breasts for shredding or slicing. This helps the chicken to cook more evenly and helps to keep it from drying out.
- You don’t need much liquid when cooking chicken breasts or thighs in a slow cooker because the meat will release some of its juices as it cooks, creating a flavorful broth. Just 1/4 to 1/2 cup of liquid is enough, although you may add more if you like. For other crockpot chicken recipes, always follow the recipe instructions for the best results.
- Chicken breasts are very versatile and can be flavored with many different types of sauces and seasonings. Use the recipes below as inspiration!
Jump to the Crockpot Chicken Breast Recipes
How to cook chicken thighs in a slow cooker
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs will take about 4-5 hours to cook on low, or 2-2.5 hours to cook on high. Bone-in chicken thighs are even more forgiving with longer cook times in the crockpot because the bone helps to keep the meat moist and juicy. If you are cooking bone-in chicken thighs, cook for 4-7 hours on low or 2-5 hours on the high setting.
- Chicken thighs are perfect for slow cooking because they are naturally more moist and will dry out less.
- If time allows, brown your chicken thighs on the stove before cooking them in a slow cooker. This adds flavor and seals in the juices. The exception is if you plan to shred your chicken thighs (to make BBQ chicken, chicken salad, etc.). In this case you don’t need to sear the chicken on the stove.
- You can use chicken thighs in recipes that call for chicken breasts, but you may have to increase the cook time slightly. Use boneless chicken thighs if you plan to shred the meat for tacos, etc.
Jump to the Crockpot Chicken Thigh Recipes
Can you cook frozen chicken in a crockpot?
The USDA recommends that you thaw chicken before cooking it in a slow cooker. Cooking frozen meat in a slow cooker can be a food safety risk. Slow cooking raises the temperature so slowly that frozen meat could stay in the “danger zone” for long enough for bacteria to possibly multiply.
With that being said, many, many people do cook frozen meat in a slow cooker with no ill effects. You can make your own decision, based on what you are comfortable with. Read more about slow cookers and food safety.
Best Crockpot Chicken Recipes
Crockpot Chicken Breast Recipes
A simple and delicious way to prepare Crockpot Chicken Breasts with a dry seasoning rub.
Everyone loves this Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken with its sweet and savory honey garlic sauce.
It doesn’t get much easier than Crockpot Shredded Chicken! This moist and tender shredded chicken is perfect for meal prep. Use it in your favorite chicken recipes.
These Crockpot Chicken Tacos are a dinner time staple in our house. This 3 ingredient slow cooker taco recipe is so easy to make!
This Crockpot Chicken and Rice is an easier way to make the classic chicken, broccoli and rice casserole. With creamy rice and cheese, this is a comfort food favorite!
My easy Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe makes the best healthy fajitas. Tender seasoned chicken breasts, bell peppers and onions cook together in your slow cooker.
With a delicious honey BBQ sauce, these Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos are a favorite family dinner. Cook the chicken taquito filling in your crockpot and then wrap it up in tortillas with cheese, and bake. Crispy taquito perfection!
My Crockpot Orange Chicken is a healthier version of the takeout favorite. When you prep it in your slow cooker it’s a delicious make ahead meal.
If you’re looking for a family friendly meal, give this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken a try. Slow Cooking this crockpot pulled chicken in barbecue sauce makes it so tender and flavorful. Use chicken breasts or chicken thighs in this recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Recipes
Tuscan Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs is a delicious recipe for cooking boneless skinless chicken thighs in your slow cooker. Seasoned chicken thighs are nestled in a creamy sauce with spinach and sun dried tomatoes.
Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes is an ultra comforting meal with juicy chicken thighs, carrots and potatoes in a flavorful gravy.
This Crockpot Chicken and Mushrooms is one of our favorite crock pot recipes for an easy weeknight dinner. Chicken thighs, mushrooms and orzo pasta all cook together in your slow cooker.
I’ve been making this Crock Pot Sesame Chicken recipe for my family for years. Make this easy chicken recipe with chicken breasts or thighs. Serve it over rice with a vegetable on the side for a quick, tasty meal!
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup Recipes
This Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup is my favorite chicken noodle soup recipe! It’s the perfect comforting meal at the end of a long day.
When it comes to crockpot soups, this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup is a reader favorite! You’ll love how easy it is to throw together.
When the weather cools down in the fall I start to crave this Crockpot White Chicken Chili. It’s a creamy, dairy-free white chicken chili recipe, ready for loading up with your favorite toppings.
Prep a batch of this Slow Cooker Chicken Stew on a cold winter morning and you’ll be so glad you did come dinner time!
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
- If you also own an Instant Pot, you’ll want to check out these Instant Pot Chicken Recipes, too!
- These perfect baked chicken breasts turn out moist and juicy, never dry.
- These crispy baked chicken thighs are one of my most popular recipes – read the rave reviews and try them for yourself!
- Try a whole chicken in your crockpot with my Crockpot Whole Chicken recipe.
This is amazing!! Thanks for the great tips!