Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This cheesy Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole takes just minutes of prep, thanks to your crock pot! It is one of my favorite crockpot meals for quick family dinners!
We’re heading into the time of year when comfort food cravings abound. Chicken, broccoli and rice casserole is one of our favorite comfort food dinners. I have a from scratch recipe that I love, but it takes a fair amount of time to prepare. This slow cooker version is so easy, it’s now my go-to recipe!
I love my slow cooker because it allows me to get dinner on the table quickly and easily. I’ve had this model for about 4 years now and it always yields delicious results.
This Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- has ultra-creamy rice thanks to the slow cooking process plus creamy Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese.
- is the easiest way to make your favorite comfort food chicken and rice dinner!
- makes your evenings easier because it’s a make ahead slow cooker meal.
How to make slow cooker chicken and rice casserole:
To begin, you will combine chopped onion, uncooked long grain brown rice, seasonings, and broth in your slow cooker. Stir to combine everything well and then add the chicken breasts.
I’ve tested this recipe by cooking it on both low heat and high heat. I recommend cooking your crock pot chicken and rice on high heat. Low heat tends to cause the rice to get mushy.
The chicken and rice will take anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours to cook on the high setting. All slow cookers vary, so I suggest starting your crock pot early enough to allow for 3 1/2 hours the first time you make this. If it finishes early, you can switch it to the keep warm setting.
When there is just a small amount of liquid left, you want to turn off your slow cooker. When you stir everything together the last bit of liquid will be absorbed.
How to cook the broccoli for this crock pot chicken, broccoli and rice casserole:
I’ve made this crock pot casserole countless times, and I have experimented with many different ways to cook the broccoli. I’ve found that steaming the broccoli on the stove works best.
To steam broccoli, place about 1 cup of water in a medium pot. Add the chopped broccoli and cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 2-5 minutes, until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Be careful not to overcook the broccoli. You want it crisp, not mushy.
Alternatively, you can steam the broccoli in the microwave or roast it. If you want to cook the broccoli in your slow cooker, add it to the casserole during the last hour of cook time.
To finish preparing your chicken, broccoli and rice casserole, you’ll chop the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir some plain Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese into the rice. Add the broccoli and chicken and serve!
No more homemade cream sauces to stir on the stove. No more three pots to watch and then wash after cooking the chicken, broccoli, and rice. Let the slow cooker do its thing to make your dinner while you do whatever else it is you’d rather be doing.
Does this slow cooker version taste exactly the same as the traditional baked casserole? Nope. As is the case with slow cooker recipes, the slow cooking process gives this casserole a creamier, less firm texture.
My family loves this Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice, especially because it is SO EASY to make! It’s one of our favorite easy chicken recipes.
I also highly recommend my Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice… everything cooks together perfectly in the Instant Pot!
And if you love the idea of a quick and easy chicken, broccoli and rice casserole, then you need to check out my 30 minute, SKILLET Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole, all made in one pot! It’s one of my family’s favorite weeknight dinners.
When I think comfort food, I don’t always think healthy. This slow cooker chicken and rice recipe, however, is full of nutritious ingredients. It’s made with brown rice, lots of broccoli, and minimal cheese. We’re using light, protein-packed Greek yogurt to add creaminess rather than a can of “cream of” soup, heavy cream, or mayo. This crockpot chicken and rice is one of my favorite healthy chicken crockpot recipes.
More Healthy Chicken Crockpot Recipes:
- Crockpot Mushroom Chicken
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Simple Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
Tips for making Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice
- Use long grain brown rice. Do not substitute other types of rice.
- Cook on high, not low.
- Use a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- I don’t recommend doubling this recipe.
- Some readers have commented that the rice turns out mushy. Slow cooked rice will not be sticky like rice cooked on the stove or in a rice cooker. Cooking this on your slow cooker’s high setting will help, but just be prepared for softer, creamier rice if you make this recipe.
- I’ve updated the recipe (8/2018) to add more seasonings to address comments about this dish needing more seasoning.
Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice rinsed and drained (do NOT substitute white rice or any other type of rice)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound broccoli cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt optional, for extra creaminess
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place onion, brown rice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper in bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour in broth and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with additional black pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, until chicken is cooked through and rice has absorbed almost all of the broth. In my slow cooker this took 3 hours on high.
- When the slow cooking time is almost finished, cook the broccoli. You can steam it on the stove or in the microwave, or roast it in your oven. (It is also possible to cook the broccoli in the slow cooker by adding it on top of the rice and chicken during the last hour of cook time. If you slow cook the broccoli it will lose its vibrant green color. I get best results when I steam the broccoli on the stove.)
- When chicken and rice are done, remove chicken to a cutting board.
- Add the plain Greek yogurt (if using), Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese to the rice in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and add to the slow cooker along with the cooked broccoli. Stir and serve.
- Do not substitute white rice or any other type of rice. Use long grain brown rice.
- I do not recommend cooking this recipe on low. Cooking on low leads to mushier rice.
- Some readers have commented that the rice in this dish is mushy. Slow cooked rice will always be much softer than rice cooked on the stove top or in a rice cooker. My family loves this casserole and we make it all the time. We love the flavor and how easy this recipe is. If you are worried about mushy rice, this may not be the recipe for you.
- Some slow cooker recipes are easily adapted, this one is not. I recommend making the recipe exactly as written, with the understanding that all slow cookers cook differently. Your casserole may take slightly longer or shorter to cook, depending on your slow cooker. You’ll know it’s done when the rice has absorbed almost all of the liquid.
- I do not recommend doubling this recipe.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!