This homemade taco seasoning takes just minutes to make and tastes much better than the packets from the store.
One of the first packaged foods that I eliminated from my family’s diet (we’re going back a few years here) was store-bought taco seasoning. Yes, those little packets from the store are handy, but their ingredient lists often contain some questionable items. I’d much rather take a few minutes to mix together some spices from my spice drawer, so I know exactly what’s in my taco seasoning. I’ve been making this Homemade Taco Seasoning for years, and I’m always happy to have a batch on hand in my spice drawer!
Making your own spice blends at home allows you to customize them to your tastes. You can add more or less chili powder or cayenne to this recipe. You can also use mild or hot chili powder depending on how spicy you like your meals.
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
I have a few other homemade spice recipes that I make regularly, including this pumpkin pie spice recipe and this gingerbread spice mix recipe, both of which are favorites during the fall and holiday seasons.
I always keep a batch of this Homemade Taco Seasoning on hand, so I’ll have it ready when I’m making turkey tacos, my easiest-ever slow cooker taco chicken or my favorite taco soup. I store it in a labeled zip-top baggie or Weck jar with the rest of my spices. When the jar is running low, I make another batch of taco seasoning right away so I’ll have it ready the next time I need it. It keeps for quite a while when sealed airtight in a cool, dry place – I usually use mine up within a couple of months but it will be good for about a year.
I like my taco seasoning to have a little kick to it without being overly spicy. This Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe has plenty of flavor from herbs and spices, so you won’t miss the extra salt found in the little packets at the store. I decided to leave salt and black pepper out of my seasoning, and instead I season my taco meat to taste after cooking.
Why you’ll love this Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe:
- It takes less than 5 minutes to make, using ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen already.
- It’s healthier than many of the store bought seasoning packets, and tastes better, too.
- You can customize the recipe to suit your tastes, making it more or less spicy by adjusting the amount and type of chili powder.
- You can use this taco seasoning in so many healthy meals, such as burrito bowls, chicken tacos, taco salad and roasted sweet potatoes.
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- To make taco meat, use 2 heaping tablespoons taco seasoning per pound of meat. Brown the meat, add in the taco seasoning and 1 cup of water, and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.