Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
This recipe has appeared on a number of my favorite food blogs, and for a while now I’ve been meaning to try it myself. For one reason or another, though, it never made it onto my weekly meal plan- until now. If I had known how much we would enjoy these taquitos, I would have made them much, much sooner.
The taquitos are surprisingly easy to put together, especially if you have leftover cooked chicken from the previous night’s dinner. Plus, they freeze really well so you can make a double batch and have a few more delicious, homemade meals on the table in minutes. Directions for freezing the unbaked taquitos follow the recipe below.
As I’ve mentioned recently, more and more Julia is enjoying helping me in the kitchen. I’m finding that the more involved she can be in the preparation of a meal, the more likely she is to want to eat it once we’re at the dinner table. For these taquitos, Julia helped me scoop the filling onto the tortillas before rolling them up. And when dinner time came, she took a bite of her taquito without hesitation and proceeded to eat it up and even ask for seconds!
One year ago: Baked Falafel Sandwiches with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce and Chicken Pot Pie
Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
Makes 12 taquitos
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice (juice from half a lime)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican flavored cheese
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic. Once combined, stir in the cilantro and green onions. Add the chicken and cheese; mix thoroughly. (If you decide to prep this in advance, refrigerate the mixture at this point until ready to continue.)
- Working with a few tortillas at a time, heat them in the microwave between two paper towels until they are soft enough to roll (about 20-30 seconds).
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can.
- Place the rolled tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas until the mixture is gone. Make sure the taquitos are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
*Note: To freeze taquitos, before baking, flash freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet then place in a labeled freezer bag and store up to 3 months. To bake a frozen taquito (no need to thaw first): Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and bake for 20 minutes.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!